Research studies and publications
Dr. Crichlow is currently involved in a number of research studies and has written a number of publications and presented nationally on trauma research.
Member Military Extremity Trauma Research Consortium (METRC)
- METRC is a collaboration between 13 Core Orthopaedic Trauma Centers including Maryland Shock Trauma, Harborview, Parkland, Tampa, Johns Hopkins, Carolinas Medical Center and others around the country
- This consortium has received greater than 60 million dollars in grants to study high energy lower extremity trauma
- Member Steering Committee 2009-2013
- PI for METRC primary core clinical site at Methodist Hospital 2009-2013
- PI for METRC Satellite Center St Vincent’s Indianapolis 2013-present
- Member FIXIT protocol committee
FIXIT: A Prospective Randomized Trial to Assess Fixation Strategies for Severe Open Tibia Fractures: Modern Ring External Fixators or Internal Fixation with Intramedullary Nails or Plates.
- Previous Member TCCI protocol committee
Improving Activity and Quality of Life Following Lower Extremity Trauma: The Trauma Collaborative Care Intervention
Biomechanical Analysis of Augmented Plate Fixation for the Treatment of Vertical Shear Pauwels III Femoral Neck Fractures.
- Biomechanical analysis of novel method of femoral neck fixation
- Manuscript in review at JOT
Clinical prediction of Non-Union by Trauma Surgeons
- Paper to examine ability of surgeons to predict non union in their own patients.
Dr. Crichlow has published a number of orthopedic papers.
- Complications of Anterior Subcutaneous Internal Fixation for Unstable Pelvis Fractures: A Mutlicenter Study. Symposium: Disruptions of the Pelvic Ring: An Update. Vaidya R, Kubiak EN, Bergin PF, Dombroski DF, Crichlow RJ, Sethi A, Starr AJ. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 470(8): August 2012
- The Authors Respond. Letter to the editor. Crichlow, RJ. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma: 24(10): 95-97, October 2010
- Appropriateness of Patient Transfer With Associated Orthopaedic Injuries to a Level I Trauma Center. Crichlow RJ, Zeni A, Reveal G, Kuhl M, Heisler J, Kaehr D, Vijay P, Musapatika DL. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 24(6):331-335, June 2010.
- Complications associated with the posterolateral approach for pilon fractures. Bhattacharryya T, Crichlow RJ, Gobezie RG, Vrahas MS. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2006 Feb;20(2):104-7
- Depression in Orthopaedic Trauma Patients: Prevalence and Severity. Crichlow RJ, Andres PL, Morrison SM, Haley SM, Vrahas MS. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2006 Sept;88-A(9) : 1927-1933
- Depression in Orthopaedic Trauma Patients. Crichlow RJ, Vrahas MS. AO Dialogue 2006 ; 3/06: 17-18
- An evidence based review of Glucosamine conducted by the Natural Standard research -Collaboration. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine 2005: Vol 3 ; Iss. 1, Article 1.
- “Chapter 6: Bone Physiology”, Concepts in Medical Physiology, 2005, Seifter J, Ratner A, Sloane D Eds.
- Hecht AC, Scott DL, Crichlow R, Hornicek FJ, Pedlow FX. “Metastatic Disease”, The Adult and Pediatric Spine, 2003, 3rd Edition Frymoyer JW, Wiesel SW Eds.
- Guest editorial, Toronto Star (circulation 450,000), 7/10/2002, “Steroids are Ruining Baseball”
Dr. Crichlow has participated in a number of national presentations on his trauma research.
- American Osteopathic Postgraduate Seminar 2013 Trauma Symposium Presentations: (1)Pelvic Fractures: Treat or Transfer (2) Novel Positioning for Lower Extremity Nailing. 2. AAOS Paper Presentation 2012: Indications and Outcomes of Anterior Subcutaneous Fixator (InFIx) in Pelvis Fractures: A Multicenter Study. Vaidya R, Kubiak E, Bergin PF, Dombrowski DG, Crichlow RJ, Sethi A, Starr AJ. 3. AAOS Poster Presentation 2012: Outcomes of Conservative Management of Pelvic Ring Injuries, Crichlow RJ, Davis JJ, Scheid DK, Watts M, Stone M, Musapatika, MS 4. AAOS Poster Presentation 2011: Appropriateness of Patient Transfer with Associated Orthopaedic Injuries to a Level-I Trauma Center. Renn Crichlow, MD; Amer Zeni, MD; Greg Reveal, MD; Mitch Kuhl, DO; Jason Heisler, DO; David Kaehr, MD;Palaniswamy Vijay, PhD; Dana Musapatika, MS, MSc 5. AAOS Poster Presentation 2009: Outcomes in Intramedullary Nailing and Locked Internal Fixation of Supracondylar Femur Fractures, Renn J Crichlow, MD, David M Kaehr, MD, Timothy G Weber, MD, Chelsie Baughman, Elizabeth McCarty, Palaniswamy Vijay, PhD, Amer Zeni, MD
- OTA Podium Presentation 2008: Appropriateness of Patient Transfer with Associated Orthopedic Injuries to Level-I Trauma Center, Renn J. Crichlow, MD, Amer Zeni, MD, Greg Reveal, MD, Mitch Kuhl, MD, Jason Heisler, DO, David Kaehr, MD, Palaniswamy Vijay, PhD
- OTA Poster Presentation 2008: The effect of Piriformis versus Tronchanteric Portal on Hip Muscle Strength. A randomized Prospective Study. Timothy G Weber MD, Renn J Crichlow MD, David S. Brokaw, Gregory Dikos, Marcus Stone, Tabitha Williams, Palaniswamy Vijay, PhD
- OTA Poster Presentation 2007: Conservative Management of Pelvic Ring Injuries, Crichlow RJ, Davis JJ, Scheid DK, Watts M, Stone M.
- AAOS Specialty Day Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Association, Podium Presentation, 2006: “Depression in Orthopaedic Trauma Patients: Prevalence and Severity.”
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, Poster Presentation 2006: “Immediate Operative Stabilization of Unstable Pelvic Ring Injuries at Time of Emergent Exploratory Laparotomy: A Series of 36 cases” Crichlow RJ, Nascone J, Sciadini M, Graf K, Turen C, Scalea TM
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association, Podium Presentation 2005: “Immediate Operative Stabilization of Unstable Pelvic Ring Injuries at Time of Emergent Exploratory Laparotomy: A Series of 36 cases” Crichlow RJ, Nascone J, Sciadini M, Graf K, Turen C, Scalea TM
- AAOS Poster Presentation 2004: “Tibial Pilon Fractures Treated via Posterolateral Approach” Crichlow RJ, Vrahas MS, Gobezie RG, Ponce B.
- AAOS Poster Presentation 2004: “Nonunion of the tibia with posterolateral approach and ORIF” Crichlow RJ, Vrahas MS, Ponce B, Gobezie RG.